Saturday, July 20, 2013

Momofuku Milk Bar’s Crack Pie


Duudddes... I did it. I made the famed crack pie. I waited to make this for the longest time. But I was afraid that it would be really hard and not turn out good. Well, good news... the opposite happened. It turned out fabulous and was actually simple to make. Do not fear the crack pie. The whole zillion calories of it. Wow, that’s one robust pie.


Clearly there is a burglar in my house. One that loves sugary, sweet, fattening, melt-in-your-mouth desserts. Maybe it was me. Gasp.

And it’s not like I had two more slices that day {Please refrain from rude comments}. I'm training for a triathlon here.




 Don’t worry. If you’ve never heard of Momofuku Milk Bar, or Crack Pie, stay calm. There are no real drugs in this pie. Unless you want some. JK. For real.

But I would consider sugar and butter drugs. Because they seem to solve all problems :)

I found my recipe here, but I halved the recipe and changed it up a little to my needs. If you want to make 2 of these diet-crushing pies, go ahead. I don’t mind. The link is right above. 

Crack Pie Recipe
Adapted from AverieCooks/Momofuku Milk Bar Cookbook

Makes: One 9-inch pie

{Ok, I’m just gonna post the ingredients here. For the directions, head on over to Averie Cooks. The link is right up there}

For the pie:
-2 tbsp. butter, melted
-1 1/2 tsp. brown sugar, packed
-1 recipe Oat Cookie
-1/8 tsp. salt
-1 recipe Crack Pie
-powdered sugar for dusting

For the Oat Cookie:
-1/4 cup butter, softened
-2 tbsp. + 2 tsp. brown sugar
-1 tbsp. + 1 1/2 tsp. sugar
-1/2 an egg yolk (just beat 1 egg yolk and pour in half of it)
-1/4 cup AP flour
-1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
-pinch baking powder
-1/2 a pinch baking soda
-1/4 tsp. salt

For the Pie Filling:
-1/2 cup butter, melted
-3/4 cup sugar
-1/4 cup + 2 tbsp. brown sugar
-3/4 tsp. salt
-2 tbsp. AP flour
-2 tbsp. milk powder
-1/4 cup + 2 tbsp. heavy cream
-1/4 tsp. vanilla
-4 large egg yolks

Notes:

*I’ve never been to Momofuku Milk Bar, or New York for that matter. So I’m not sure how close this pie tastes to the real thing. All I know is that it’s good. Real good.

**This pie tastes super similar to these No Name Bars. So if you want to skip the pie but get all the good gooey flavor, you can find the tasty recipe here.

***I swear I ate three slices of this pie the day I made it. I only gained 5 pounds, but my weight shifts a lot, and I lost the 5 pounds the next week while I was working out. Splurge a little and make this pie. I promise you... it’s worth it :)

Happy Saturday!





No comments:

Post a Comment