Tuesday, July 30, 2013

The Easiest Semi-Homemade Donuts Ever!! {no, seriously!}



Ok, so you all know I’m big into confessions. Especially confessions about food. Dessert to be exact. I love to bake dessert. I love to eat dessert. However, I do not like to eat the desserts I bake {does that sound strange?}. Yeah, I’m one of those girls that looks at the dessert menu before the main menu at a restaurant. What can I say? I have a sweet-tooth. Maybe all I think about is sugar and butter and the heavenly connection that happens when the two come together. I promise you, I’m not that weird :)

So yeah, I’m obsessed with desserts. To be particular, I’m obsessed with donuts. I wish I could eat them everyday. For reals. And no, I’m not talking about the donuts that come in a box at the grocery store. I do not obsess over those donuts. No, I’m talking about the airy, fluffy donuts that are freshly made at a bakery. Or at Krispy Kreme. God, I love that place. If you don’t know about Krispy Kreme, get your butt to one right now and try their donuts. If you’ve had Krispy Kremes and you don’t like them, get out of my face. Kiiddddding. Only sort of. Because who doesn’t like Krispy Kremes? Duudes, they give you a free donut when you’re waiting in line. No, I’m not kidding.

But anywho, I don’t have time to go to Krispy Kreme, because there’s not one that’s super close to where I live. So you know what? I deal. And I make my own donuts. Ok, semi-homemade donuts, because like I said, my cravings can not wait for dough to rise. Darn homemade dough.

As long as you have pillsbury biscuits for this recipe, you’re golden. Oh, and you might need vegetable oil. And some powdered sugar and milk for a glaze. Why don’t I just give you the recipe?


These donuts taste very fluffy and light and tasty. Not at all like they were made with biscuit dough.

Here are the ingredients:
-1 can of Pillsbury biscuits
-some vegetable oil for frying

Yeah, so basically 1 ingredient, because everyone already has vegetable oil in their house. At least they should :)

Soo, this is awkward, but I didn’t take pictures of the frying process, just because snapping pictures while baking is already hard, and then when you add the difficulty of trying not to burn yourself on hot oil makes it 10 times worse. 

But I’m going to explain this step-by-step. No worries.

First, cut little holes into each donut, I don’t no what I used, just some circle kitchen utensil. A cap from a pop bottle could also work. Now don’t throw away those little balls. They are going to be donut holes :)
Pour your oil into a skillet or a pot or a wok if you have one. I used a wok. Pour in just enough oil to cover a donut. If you are using a skillet, heat the oil on medium to medium high for a few minutes. You can test your oil by dropping a donut hole in. It should sizzle and kind of float at the top.

It doesn’t take much time for these donuts to cook. You’ll probably want to try doing two at a time, cause you don’t want to risk burning any of these donuts. Believe me, you’ll want to eat all of them. Let them cook for a little on one side and then the other. Use tongs to pick up the donuts and place them on a plate covered with paper towels. Blot these babies so all the oil is removed.


Now make the glaze while the donuts and donut holes are still warm. You’ll need:

-1/4 cup milk
-1 1/2 to 2 cups of powdered sugar (depending on how you like your consistency)
-1 tsp vanilla

Mix all of the ingredients until your glaze is completely smooth. Drop the donuts in the glaze and coat both sides. You may want to do this twice. I did :)

Eat the donuts while they are warm. Enjoy!

Seriously, that's one tasty looking donut :)

No comments:

Post a Comment